These are the best beaches and natural pools on Madeira
Madeira may not have that many sandy beaches, but that doesn’t mean you can’t sunbathe on the island. Volcanic eruptions and erosion created many natural pools and there are also plenty of man-made beaches or sundecks to choose from. We’ve selected the best ones for you.
Best natural pools on Madeira
- Porto Moniz is probably the most popular natural pool on the island. Mind you, it can be busy during the summer season. This hotel is overlooking this natural pool and is awesome.
- Seixal Natural Pools are surrounded by stunning nature and a black beach. You can rent a lounger here.
- Pocas Do Gomes/Doca Do Cavacas is not big but quite worth a visit! There is a natural pool next to the normal one and you can see the fish swimming around your feet!
- Cachalote Natural Pools are located at the entrance of Porto Moniz Village, right next to Cachalote restaurant and the Aquarium at São João Baptista Fort.
- Lido Galomar Bathing Complex is located in Canico and it combines normal pools with a natural pools.
- The Quinta do Lorde belongs to a luxurious resort that offers its guests this natural sea pool.
Best beaches in Madeira
- Prainha is one of madeira’s best natural beaches and located near popular Ponta de São Lourenço. It offers sun beds, parasols and toilets.
- Calheta, this man-made beach has a beach restaurant and bar and is also popular with the locals.
- Porto do Seixal Beach is a natural black sand beach located right next to Seixal harbour. It has no services and you should bring your own parasol when it gets hot.
- Praia das Palmeiras is a rocky and popular beach that gets very busy during summer. It’s great for kids because there are free beach toys to play with and there is a lifeguard on site. The beach is separated into 2 different areas. The pool (various opening times) and the pebbled beach which is open anytime.
- Paul do Mar Beach, also known as Ribeira das Galinhas (Chicken’s River), is one of the most popular pebble beaches on the western coast, due to the pleasant atmosphere and beautiful landscape. The beach, however, is rocky.
- Ribeira do Faial is situated next to the wonderful Miradouro do Guindaste (see photo) It’s not big but there are toilets, a restaurant plus an area for playing football.
Looking for a hotel on Madeira? Check this list!
Are you looking for the full Madeira Island Guide?