THE GUIDE TO MÉRIBEL, FRANCE
Méribel is one of the more luxurious ski-regions in France, and with that, it’s very comfortable for many reasons. Dive into the world of snow, luxury hotels, tasty restaurants and a stunning slopes.
Méribel in a nutshell
- Méribel is part of the larger ski area known as Les Trois Vallées (The Three Valleys), which is one of the largest interconnected ski areas in the world.
- At an altitude of around 1,450 meters (4,757 feet) above sea level, you can find the actual village of Méribel.
- The region covers 600 kilometers (370 miles) of slopes and more than 180 ski lifts in Les Trois Vallées.
- It’s one of the more luxurious villages in Les Trois Vallées, with two 5 star hotels
- Chambéry Airport is closest, but most people fly to Geneva or Lyon sd they are also within reasonable driving distance. Our tip: take the train to Lyon to travel more sustainable!
Hotel Le Coucou
In our opinion this is THE BEST hotel in the region, but we’ll let you be the judge of that. Le Coucou is one of two 5 star hotels in Méribel, and offers luxury rooms and chalets. Rooms look and feel exactly what you would dream of in the French Alps; alpine-inspired decor and modern amenities. Most rooms and suites also feature balconies or large terraces with breathtaking mountain views. On arrival, your room is generously filled with local cheese, cakes and fruit, together with some wine and warm slippers.
In total, Le Coucou has three restaurants; Beefbar, for hot dishes served in casseroles, risotto, pasta, salads, a well-balanced and tempting children’s menu, and a beautiful wine cellar. But we especially loved Biancaneve, the Italian restaurant on the six floor, where guests also enjoy their breakfast. If you are looking for something local and cozy, check out the Le Fumoir which is a Walhalla for cheese lovers. Sit around its fireplace, in a friendly and cozy atmosphere. What we also loved, is the spa and outdoor pool. When your muscles need it most, you can take a dip in the warm water and refresh yourself. The hotel is also quite child-friendly as we saw many families with small children here.
Other hotels in Méribel worth looking at
- L’Allodis: The highest hotel in Méribel center with a sunny terrace and stunning view. Book here. https://www.hotelallodis.com/restaurant-bar/
- L’Eterlou: A beautiful hotel in the heart of Méribel with a pretty outdoor pool. Check it here.
- La Chaudanne & Le Kaila; 2 seperate hotels that are joined by a glass door. They also offer ski-in-ski-out, and are a 4 and 5 star hotel in the middle of Méribel’s town. Book them here.
If you are the type that hates to carry all the gear back to your accommodation after a long day on the slopes, you are going to like this concept. Like Le Coucou, many of the accommodations in Méribel offer ski-in, ski-out access. Which basically means that you can ski all the way to the back door of your hotel making it convenient for visitors to hit the slopes directly from their accommodations and back. Be warned, once you have experience this, you want nothing else!
Where to Eat
- Chez Fifi – A new Italian restaurant that opened in 2022. fifi-restaurant.com
- La Coursive des Alpes – Very traditional French cuisine in the heart of Méribel in a modern atmosphere.
- Le Blanchot – On the slopes you will find this restaurant that serves healthy options with a view on the piste.
- The Clos Bernard – located in the middle of the forest near the pistes, with tipis and mulled wine!
- Le Maya Altitude – For the best 180° view from the mountain!
- Le Lilie – Has a winecellar inside, a shop and some of the best cheese-fondue! lilie-meribel.com
- The + : on Wednesday night, they have a DJ and the restaurant becomes a dancefloor after 10pm!
Activities around the region
Honestly, there are so many activities here, that we can’t even mention them all, but here are some of our favourites we think you would love.
Fatbike snowtour with Loisbike
Slip and slide through the snow, and work your muscles! This activity through the snowy forest is especialy fun with a group of friends. You may slip and fall, but that’s the challenge though – it’s definitely fun! Book through LoisBike.
Experience walking through the snowy forest in a mindful way, learn breathing techniques and be in the moment. You can contact her via telephone or email. +33 6 87 57 33 71 – email@example.com
Hike-walk in Plan de Tuéda National Park
This is a lesser known spot and activity in the region, and only known by locals. Walk around the lake, relax on a bench and escape the busy slopes for a minute.