23 May Soho House Amsterdam
Soho House Amsterdam has been under construction for a few years now, but because of neighbors objecting to the project, the building was put to hold. After a few years of endless discussions, the house finally got the green light to open in the summer of 2018.
What is Soho House?
The Soho House is an exclusive members club, located in grand capitals around the world. Soho House describes itself as more than just another hotel and they put their money where their mouth is. The first-ever “House” opened back in 1995, and now you can find at least 20 Soho Houses across the globe. London, Los Angeles, Berlin, Barcelona, New York, Toronto, Miami, Istanbul, and the list goes on..
A Soho House membership can cost over €1000,- per year
There are various types of memberships available:
- Local House: access to one House in your neighbourhood, only access to for example Soho House Amsterdam
- Every House: access to all Soho House locations around the world
- Soho Friends: this gives you discount on some of the services of the House. For example discount on restaurants from Soho House, BUT this membership doesn’t give you direct access to the Soho House!
The most expensive membership, Every House, can cost over €1000,- per year plus a registration fee. In order to get one, you have to go through an application process. Yup, it’s pretty expensive and hard to get in, but hold on, this is giving more than just the entrance fee. Hotel rooms are available with a members discount, you gain access to cool events, all the facilities such as the gym, spa, rooftop, screening room etc. So can you visit the Soho House as a non-member? Well, the way it usually works is like this; A member can bring up to 3 guests to the Soho House. Your guest need to stay with you at all times (ok, you can visit the toilet), and the reception must be notified.
Rules at Soho House
There are a few rules at the Soho House and to be honest, you got to love them for it. Ok, here we go:
- No cameras, video or recording devices may be used while in the House. This also means, no phone pictures or social media. (On boy, the insta-babes are going to hate this one). If you are caught, you have a problem. The reason is, that members like to feel comfortable. The occasional celebrity will stay at the Soho House, so I guess it’s understandable.
- To protect the relaxed atmosphere within the House, members may not take or make phone calls and phones should be in silent mode while in the House.
- No ties. We heard a rumor that men aren’t encouraged to wear them. It’s a place to feel at home, and ties aren’t something you wear at home do ya?
- No smoking is allowed inside the House at any time. Fair enough.
- No animals will be allowed in the House except for assistance dogs. Fair enough 2.
Soho House Rooftop
Soho House Amsterdam is also known for their rooftop swimming pool. With an amazing view looking over Amsterdam. They have a bar and nice sunbeds to get your tan. Because yes it can get sunny in The Netherlands. At the bar you can get a nice drink and then time to relax at the pool. Perfect for the summer time.
Soho Health Club
The Soho Health Club has a gym that has two rooms. The Soho House Amsterdam gym has a nice view over the city. They also have a steam room, where you can also blow off some steam after your work out. And last but not least they have a sauna. Perfect for after a workout. They also have a wonderful spa, which is actually featured in our Best Spa’s in Amsterdam list!
Staying at the Soho House hotel
With a Soho House or Soho Friends membership you can book a room. They have 9 different types of rooms which rate from €215,- up to €1,245 for just one night. The hotel has a total of 79 bedrooms, all with their own features. Think about victorian style bathtubs in the middle of the room, large beds, exclusive art on the walls and a place to work.
Soho House Amsterdam restaurant
If you want to visit Soho House Amsterdam they have a restaurant that is open to everyone, member or not. The restaurant is called Cecconi’s. Cecconi’s serves hand-made pasta, seafood, and other dishes from Italy using the finest ingredients. The original restaurant is located in Mayfair, London, but Cecconi’s has other locations in Miami, West Hollywood, Istanbul and Berlin. It’s a great option if you fancy a nice dinner or to go for some drinks.
Soho House Amsterdam
Spuistraat 210, Amsterdam