Why the Paris region is this year’s Winter Destination
Ah Paris, beautiful, romantic Paris. We all know the Eiffel Tower, the Champs-Elysées and the Notre Dame. But Paris is more than the usual highlights and this winter, you can enjoy festivals, many exhibitions, shopping sprees and unique hotspots to celebrate the winter in style.
There are a few places in the world where the Christmas season is that little bit extra special. Paris and it’s region is one of those. The light, the ambiance and the special events during the winter period. Let’s start with the three main Christmas Markets this year.
- Grande Arche in business district la Défense with 250 wooden chalets! It’s there until the 28th of December.
- Notre-Dame, for local crafts, fashion and accessoires designs. It’s on from the 15th until the 24th of December.
- Champs de Mars From the 21st of December until January 8th you can stroll over this Christmas market at the foot of the Eiffel Tower. It has gourmet food, gift ideas and crafts.
Celebrate New Years Eve watching the fireworks at the Eiffel Tower
Ice-skating on top of the Observatoire Panoramique, how cool!
The Sky is the Limit
If you like to see Paris from a different point of view this winter, you have a few options. Take a ride on the largest ferris wheel in Paris on Place de la Concorde, at 70 meter high you have an amazing view over the city and Champs-Élysées. Another must do, is ice-skating on top of the Observatoire Panoramique on the Tour Montparnasse. How cool! The ice-skating ring is 210 meters high above the city and open from the 14th of Feb until the 6th of March. The nearest metro station is Gare Montparnasse and Ice-skates are available to rent on the spot.
Shop till you drop
Sorry but not sorry. If you are in Paris, you need to go shopping! Even if it’s just for walking passed the shopping windows. For the best Christmas themed windows, you need to go to Boulevard Haussmann where you can find the best warehouses. Shopping centre Galeries Lafayette always has something special going on and transforms in a fair with a huge Christmas tree in the middle. This years theme is Carnival so we can only imagine what that’s going to be like! Are you more for the boutique shops? Then you should go to the Montmartre & South of Pigalle district. Marais is great for small shops and may even look a bit medieval at times.
Musée des Arts Forains © Sébastien Siraudeau
Parisian Tasty Hotspots
Chocolate, breakfast, macarons and other Parisian indulgences are all to be found in Paris. During the winter time you want to eat comfort food and drink the best hot chocolates. These are the hotspots where all of this is possible!
- Brasserie Lipp is one of the oldest Parisian brasseries and offers a typical French menu from Escargots to céleri rémoulade.
- Paperboy Paris for the best bread rolls and sandwiches! They are located in the Le Marais area and is a favorite breakfast spot, also for the locals!
- Jaja is the perfect place for a meal away from the crowd. Go here for comfort food Parisian style and enjoy the pretty courtyard.
- Wynwood is the perfect brunch spot with everything organic and a cute interior. Tip: Try the taco’s from the special menu!
- Miss Kale Paris, if you love healthy food, this spot is for you! Vegan bowls, Poke bowls, Asian style bowls and of course bowls with kale!
- Braun Notes Coffee is for coffee lovers who like to drink them pretty. They create the best coffee designs and also offer a great brunch menu that includes fruit in a coconut!
It might not be on top of mind when visiting Paris region but there are many exhibitions and places worth visiting this winter. Never been to the amazing Château Versailles? Now is your chance and see Voyage en Hiver, a unique contemporary art exhibition through the groves of the castle. Or check Museum Marmottan-Monet where you can see the famous paintings of French artist Monet with your own eyes (remember the painting from Titanic?) and find out what he held in his private collection.
Château Versailles during winter. Source: Versailles © EPV/Thomas Garnier/Skydrone
Reasons enough to head over to Paris and it’s surroundings this winter, to enjoy the lights and festive season when you still can!
This article was written in collaboration with the France Tourism Development Agency and Paris Region
*Header photo by @MaureenPowel
Nicole OrriënsPosted at 07:40h, 05 January
It looks absolutely lovely! Now I want to go to Paris myself!
MarjanPosted at 07:48h, 05 January
Wow I’ll always wanted to visit Paris! When I do, I’ll use your blog as a guideline! Thanks!
Adine @ LekkerLevenMetminder.nlPosted at 08:23h, 05 January
Galeries Lafayette is sooo beautiful! I haven’t been in Paris for a few years, and seeing this, I really look forward to visiting the city again!
TinePosted at 10:48h, 05 January
I looove galeries lafayette! Can’t believe how many years it’s been since I was last in Paris but I’m so eager to plan a trip this year!